Sunday, March 25, 2012

first impression of Korea

Visiting my friend in Korea has definitely been interesting. I was very excited, not just for my first holiday (and first days off since arriving in China, argh), but also because Korea is where I originally wanted to teach, so I wanted to compare. I arrived at about 8pm on Thursday and my first impression of Busan was that is it is so much cleaner than anywhere I have been in China, both the city and the air. Busan is absolutely gorgeous, it is right on the ocean, with rivers, lakes, green pants and mountains. I am immediately jealous. My friend has been here for four years, so she' pretty legit and well established.

We dropped off my things and went to meet her boyfriend (another foreigner from the States) at a bar. I was absolutely blown away by the number of foreigners there. Granted it was a foreigner bar, but I knew there were others in the area, so the amount of them in the one spot was crazy to me. We had a few drinks there and then headed to another place for someone's birthday. There our group was a mix of foreigners and Koreans (or so I thought). My friend and I both aren't really attracted to Asians, and when we left there I commented that Koreans are more attractive than Chinese. Turns out the two guys I though were Korean were American, lol, but one might have Korean heritage, we aren't sure.

We've been discussing the difference between Korea and China quite a bit, and one big point of difference is that Koreans are much more concerned with image and appearance. Here they wear a lot more makeup, they get plastic surgery and they want designer stuff. More about this and other differences later though.

We called it a night early on Thursday because my friend had to go to work on Friday. At the nuclear power plant. And I was going too!

No comments:

Post a Comment