Friday, March 30, 2012

everything that CAN happen will

My trip from Korea back to China got a little long. We had stayed up until about about 1:30-2am the night before and I woke up around 5:30am to make sure I wasn't rushed, could shower and triple check my friend's apartment for my things. She and her boyfriend said I only needed to get to the airport maybe an hour early, even though it was an international flight, because it was early and the airport was small. I ended up there about an hour and a half early, which was definitely good.

I had a lot with me, as I went from straight from Tianjin to Beijing to Busan to move back to Songyuan, so everything I'd brought to live in Tianjin traveled with me the whole time. I discovered that Korean (and Chinese) TSA won't open your bags and search them without you, they will call you into a private room to search them. Both my checked bag and my carry on got marked and searched leaving Korea. Turns out hairspray in a checked bag is cause for concern and a Clarisonic face scrubber thing is in a carry on. Once I got through that, my flight to Shanghai went without a hitch.

In Shanghai I had two hours between arrival and my departure for Changchun to pick up my luggage, recheck my bag, check in to my second flight and get on. My arrival gate was literally the furthest gate in the terminal from the baggage claim. Naturally, both of my bags got searched, again. Same two reasons. Then, once I got to my departure gate, which was also the last gate down the line, Gate #4, there was a change and I had to get from Gate #4 to Gate #203, lol. Not even close.

That flight went fine as well, but was about 30 minutes delayed. I found my driver at the airport with no problems. He's a taxi driver that doesn't speak English, but my school uses him a lot so I recognized him; he's trustworthy and lives in Changchun so he can always pick us up and drive us to Songyuan. I woke up partially into the two hour drive to Songyuan to find us pulling into a service station somewhere. I had no idea what was wrong, but the driver happened to know the phrase "5 minutes" in English, and he made me sit in the car while it was jacked up with a bunch of guys working on it. They got us back on the road in maybe 45 minutes.

I have no idea what this sign says, but the photo did not inspire confidence in the service station.
When I finally got back to Songyuan, it was Home Sweet Crack Den Home for me. Apparently they gave away my new apartment while I was gone, so I will get my pick of the new apartments they buy in the next week or two. Luckily The Crack Den had been cleaned, actually had some new linens and my things were all there. I was exhausted but starving by that point, so I headed to school to grab whatever foreigners were lying around and make them go to dinner with me. It took me less than 24 hours to meet all the new ones in town; it's good to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment