Thursday, March 29, 2012

cloud seeding

My friend in Korea told me that China has a machine they use to make it rain, and that they use it to get some of the pollutants out of the air. I had never heard of it, but it sounded crazy, so I came back here and did some Googling.

Apparently the process is called cloud seeding, artificially making it rain by shooting silver iodine or dry ice into the clouds. China did this to ensure it didn't rain during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, but also to eliminate some of the air pollution. I don't recall hearing about this at all!

Most of the articles I found mentioned China using cloud seeding to fight droughts, not reduce pollution. I hadn't realize that northern China has a bit of a water problem until I started looking this stuff up. I find it interesting that it doesn't rain much here, as I would compare much of the climate with that of the midwest in the USA, and it rains a lot there.

The whole topic seems pretty controversial, but definitely worth a read if you're into that kind of thing.


3 comments:

  1. The US has been conducting experiments with cloud seeding ("Rain Rockets") in W. Texas since the early 1970's. I have been experimenting with a "make it rain rocket" in the strip clubs since 1999.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was in the news here in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James, lol, not quiiite the same.

    Basspir19, I figured it MUST have been, I don't remember that at all!

    ReplyDelete