Monday, April 9, 2012

birthdays

Chinese birthdays work differently than western birthdays. Chinese use the lunar calendar, not the solar (which is also why their New Year's is a few months after January 1st). Also, in China, they say you are one year old when your are born. So, some people are two years older in China than in western countries at times.

My birthday is November 12th and I am 27 in western years. In China, my students tell me I am currently 28 and my birthday is October 20th, so from October 20th until November 12th of this year I will be 27 in western years and 29 in Chinese years.

They also have an animal for every year, much like a western astrological sign. There are twelve animals, and every time your animal's year comes up is said to be special. Also like western astrological signs, there are characteristics for each animal, but since each animal is a whole year, I put  lot less stock in this than horoscopes. Not to say that I believe in those either, but what are the chances of every child born in a year having similar personality traits?

No comments:

Post a Comment