Wednesday, March 21, 2012

TEDA legacy

My replacement arrived in TEDA late Sunday evening. Monday I gave her the rundown on all the teaching she was taking over from me and at night we were able to get my TA to join us for a drink for my last night out.

My replacement is British. She is in her early twenties and has been traveling and doing odd jobs for the past year and a half, mostly around Australia. Australia has always been my dream place to go, but I want to go for an extended period of time not just a few week's holiday, so she was perfect to grill about that.

She had a lot of questions for me about life in Tanggu and general cultural differences in China as well, having never been here before. I feel like I scared her a bit, but hopefully I brought it back to a positive place! As far as life goes, I just stressed that she cannot rely on the TA and must get out on her own. I have been much happier the past few weeks getting out and about by myself, but it took me a while to figure that out. On Tuesday morning before I left, I took her around to all the malls and places she would want to visit regularly and gave her the expat magazines and such that would help her acclimate, so I think (cross my fingers for her) she's set up for success.


No comments:

Post a Comment