Wednesday, March 21, 2012

another adventure in Beijing: pt 2

Yesterday after I took my replacement around Tanggu a bit, I taught one final class, packed up my stuff and hopped a train to Beijing to meet my friend from Phoenix and his sister again. We were going to see the Beijing Guoan play the Brisbane Roar that evening at Workers Stadium, so it was very important for me to catch the right train. By the time I got through traffic and waited in line at the train station, there were only standing tickets left (same price though), but luckily my luggage made the perfect seat for me!


When I got off the train, I took a cab to the stadium to meet my friend, dropped my luggage in his sisters car and then we were in to see the game. We had amazing seats, third row, center field, due to some nifty connections my friend's sister has. The Guoan were supposed to get killed, but it was actually a really good game. Guoan scored first and the game ended 1-1. The fans get super into it; they dress up, chant, sing and have props, just like we do. They just seem to all be sober. The stadium is not set up like Western stadiums with vendors and such. There were just seats, bathrooms, a few odd people selling sodas and riot police. Everywhere.


The crowd over there was singing a song to the tune of "The Entertainer," ha.
They totally had the best seats in the house (they turned around and sat down during the game).

No comments:

Post a Comment