Saturday, April 7, 2012

legit writer

I used to really enjoy writing in high school, but I kind of stopped after that. I never kept a diary or anything, but writing helps me sort through things. I think my mom always thought I'd be an English teacher or something, though "I'm moving to China to teach English" might not have been the I-told-you-so moment she hoped for, lol. I've really enjoyed blogging though (in case it isn't obvious from how prolific I've been since starting this).

While I was in Tianjin a friend of mine suggested I write for work too. He introduced me to a friend of his that is a contributor to an expat magazine there. She told me they were looking for a contributor in Tanggu and hooked me up with her editor. The April issue of the magazine was already in the works then, but I chatted with the editor, sent her some samples and now I am officially writing a full page section entitled "Chinese Whisper" for JIN Magazine each month! My focus is helping foreigners adjust/adapt to life in China with a humorous spin. The magazine is no western magazine, but hey, it's a start. The unfortunately thing about this is that the magazine is in Tianjin, and I now live in Songyuan, but I feel like I can fake it for a while.

I submitted my first piece on Monday and I'm quite excited :)

No comments:

Post a Comment