Sunday, March 4, 2012

the whys

Moving abroad to teach English is something I've thought about doing periodically since college. I considered it right after, but I was still pretty stuck in my whole "I hate kids" persona. I've always been known amongst my friends as a child hater, but I don't actually hate kids, I just don't want any of my own. And I prefer they not scream in public places. Especially not public places where I happen to be at the time of said screaming. But I absolutely love babies (well... maybe not ugly ones).

Regardless, I didn't go after college, I randomly moved to Phoenix instead. I was basically drifting. I knew I didn't want to be a graphic designer, which I had just gotten a Bachelor's Degree to be, so since I had a house I could move into with no contract and there was no winter (which I despise), it seemed as good a plan as any.

Then, when I was miserable and clearly going nowhere with my advertising agency job of three years in Phoenix, I thought about it again. Ultimately, I decided to pursue my pipe dream of working in the music industry instead. Few things in this world make me happier than music. In the process of trying to do that, I fell into my next job as a marketing manager (not in music). But, after a few months there I knew it wasn't the place for me either.

That was the point at which I decided it was time. Marketing is good and fun and all, and I had the beginnings (I think) of a great career in Phoenix after more than four years in the industry, I was good at what I did, I was pretty well connected, but it wasn't enough. I wasn't happy. Sure, I was ok in my day to day; outside of work I had great friends, lived in a gorgeous place with a lot of fun things to do, but I still felt like I was drifting, years after college. I was just going along with whatever happened instead of actively making decisions about my life. And I couldn't really figure out what it would take to make me feel like I wasn't drifting, to make me happier.

I am naturally a very happy person overall. The Chinese are always asking me why I'm so happy. I'm always smiling, I find the best in every situation and I don't complain much; I adjust so I have no need to complain. But I simultaneously could and couldn't imagine staying where I was. I could because I adapt, fall into routines and get comfortable very easily, but I couldn't because it sounded a bit like hell. The same thing, the same people, the same industry, the same lifestyle forever. It could be fun, but it would really just be me collecting things. I didn't really have a dream to follow.

Buuuut, I always want to go on adventures. I always want to go explore and experience new things. So why not try that, right? I wasn't making great money, and with my lifestyle I wasn't saving either, so teaching abroad seemed like a great opportunity for adventure and exploration. Teachers have a really low cost of living, pay is crazy high compared to local salaries, work hours are between 20 and 30 per week unless you want more, and obviously in a foreign country there would be so much to experience. So, here I am.

I'd say the rest is history, but I get a lot of questions on what happened after that, so more on the hows to come (hopefully) tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment