Friday, February 24, 2012

slacking excuse #2: frog, the American bar & downtown Tanggu

Tuesday night after 798 and then my tutoring sessions, my friend and I grabbed my TA and went out for dinner and drinks right around our apartment. At the restaurant we ordered the usual excessive assortment of dishes, including frog (it is my goal to eat as many non-Western foods as I can). The Chinese tend to leave bones in their food when they cook it though and you just have to beware when you eat. Most of this had bones in it, the frog (body, not legs) included, and a lot of it was so small that getting the bones out was really difficult; it ended up being almost inedible.

frog with ginger
After that we went to the one American bar that I've seen in Tanggu; it has an American flag carved in wood over the door. We drank Guiness, played pool, drew on the walls and had a great time, even though there was nobody else there. We ended up staying out until bar time (which was 2am).


The next day, my friend and I tried to go to Beijing, and then to Tianjin, but neither train schedule worked out with my tutoring in the evening, so we ventured out to Tanggu proper. There were a lot of things to see there, tons of shopping and we went to an arcade, but I couldn't get over how dirty everywhere I've been in China is, and how insanely polluted the air in Tanggu is. Tanggu is part of TEDA (Tianjin Economic Development Area), so it is the most quickly developing industrial area in Tianjin province. All we kept saying walking around all day was that the air was going to kill us all.

"So... this is China..."

"So... this is a bull..."


"So... this is a shopping mall with a random killer whale on it..."

"...and this is one called I Love U..."

No comments:

Post a Comment