Monday, February 20, 2012

next career move?!

This would be the section in which I have a short media buyer dork out, please feel free to skip :)


I see these out of home advertisements for Rising Sun Outdoor Media every time I leave the Beijing train station and they always remind me to post about media. I have yet to turn on a tv here, so I don't get exposed to any advertising there. Radio I pretty much only hear in cabs, so that's out as well. I don't read the paper and I have a VPN routing my internet through LA, so the only traditional media I have any exposure to here is out of home.



They have a lot of really large format outdoor here, really long billboards that go over a whole road, either on the side of a bridge over the road or stand alone, and they are both on freeways and surface streets. All of their billboards are static or that kind that has panels that turn to rotate the ad (not sure what this is called, we didn't have it in Phoenix). I find it kind of interesting that they don't have LED or anything, given the fact that they have so much random public "art" using LED and neons, and so many buildings with that kind of thing just built right in (kind of like PCH, but more neon than LED). And where there are billboards, there are always lots of billboards. Placement strategy has to be interesting too, almost the reverse of in the States. You want to surface level boards in order to reach the most people, because most people don't drive, not the freeway boards.


They also have these large inflatable signs or bridges that go over surface streets with text ads on them. Picture the inflatable wavy arm men that car dealers use, just longer and thicker and arched over a road.


Outside of those, they have a lot of fairly large format backlit signage (see above), all over the place. In malls, on buildings, etc.


I've been thinking about trying to find a media outlet or advertising agency to take a tour of here, just to check it out. Being a foreigner, I would think it wouldn't be too hard to get one to show me around. It would be very interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment