Wednesday, February 15, 2012

lunch & drunk driving

Unexpected free afternoon... I was intending to just walk around and explore the city, but I ran into my school's owner who invited me to join him and a government friend at lunch (breakfast for me). It was interesting to say the least. That bowl in front I was surprised to discover tasted just like chicken noodle soup. The stuff in it looked kind of strange, but upon tasting it I decided it was dumpling noodles and glass noodles. Come to find out once we'd finished that it was shark fin soup. Good to know...

3 people + 11 dishes
2 people drinking + 1 bottle of wine
2 Chinese men + 1 American girl
1 Chinese speaker + 1 bilingual + 1 English speaker

The subject of DUIs came up (hence only 2 of us drinking); turns outs China's penalties are even crazier than Arizona's. In China if you get busted drinking and driving you lose your license forever! I've asked about this before because they have the best anti drinking and driving signage ever (see below), I just haven't been able to get a picture of it. When I got my visa, I had to write and sign a statement saying I would follow all Chinese laws and not drink and drive. Eek.

No comments:

Post a Comment