Thursday, February 16, 2012

Chinese, Irish & German bars

...and my first night out in TEDA! My TA had never been to a bar (seriously. at 23.), so we went to a couple of bars in Tanggu. She was quite concerned about our safety, which cracked me up because I'd have gone alone if she wasn't up for it. She even asked our cab driver on the way if he thought we'd be ok. We got in the cab and seeing a foreigner, he guessed the exact bar we wanted to go to.

 
We went to an Irish bar where I had a crazy expensive Guinness (literally 10x the price and 1/2 the size of a beer in Songyuan) and the staff wore hot pink and purple polo shirts (very authentic Irish). Then we stopped at a German bar where their specialty is Mexican food and margaritas. People seem a bit confused on their foreign concepts here...


My TA said from the tv dramas she had seen she was expecting creepy guys to be coming up to us left and right. No one talked to us until the last maybe half hour we were out, when two later middle aged white guys plopped down at our table. One was shithoused and my first reaction when he came up to us was to yell, "stranger danger!" which he did not appreciate. His friend was significantly more sober and had been teaching English in China for many years, so he was good conversation. The drunk one proceeded to dance by himself on the same side of the table as my TA.



He got to trying to touch her in conversation a little more than was necessary (i.e. touching her at all), so I politely asked him not to... and then shit got crazy. He leaned over the table and got in my face trying to start a serious fight with me. Meanwhile I had a big smile on my face and was telling him to please not touch my friend, but if you feel the need to try to hit me fine, it'll be funny and you'll ultimately go to jail. His friend was trying to pull him away the whole time yelling, "You're trying to fight a girl!" My poor TA. Luckily she wasn't too traumatized, but we did not give Americans a good name tonight.

All said and done though, it was a fun night!

No comments:

Post a Comment