Monday, April 16, 2012

damn liberals

I was having a conversation with a student the other day about marriage, and I always like to bring up the ideas of bisexuality and homosexuality to see people's reactions. Naturally, these concepts are generally frowned upon in China, but the bigger the city, the more acceptable or the more likely you are to find bi or homosexuals. This particular student told me she thinks most people are bisexual, which I found interesting. Especially since she was born and raised in Songyuan, which is a pretty small city.

One thing I struggle with here is how much of my ultra socially liberal ideology to pass off as normal American thinking. I sometimes have a hard time judging what the general population's feelings are on a lot of issues because I am so liberal, as are most of my friends. I usually present something leaning in a more liberal direction but do try to say something to the effect of, "This is how I feel about this, but I am sure it's just like China in that bigger cities are more open minded and socially progressive than smaller ones, but you can find people that believe in the extremes on either side of an issue."

No comments:

Post a Comment