Thursday, August 30, 2012

Bangkok & Ko Pha ngan

I've had a kind of crazy past month. After leaving Songyuan on August 1st (post contract, for good), I went to meet my boyfriend in Thailand. Over the following ten days, we hit Bangkok, Ko Pha ngan and Ko Samui.

Bangkok is basically just another big city. Yeah, there's some cool stuff, like you'll find in any big city, but it didn't do anything amazing for me. To be fair, we didn't spend a ton of time there and didn't invest a ton of effort in exploring while we were there, but still.

The more I travel, the more I'm realizing that big cities aren't where I want to be. My favorite part of Bangkok was the smaller market/shopping street we stayed on for a while that was quite near to Khao San Road the main one, but more chill.

One thing that was disappointing there were the tattoo parlors/piercing shops. I have one anchor that needs to be redone and another that the top needs to be screwed back on; I was thinking i could get those things taken care of there. We visited about ten shops and they all either couldn't do anchors or said they could but then the piercers would flake out and never show up.

After Bangkok, we had a ridiculous travel night (think eight hour bus to a dock to sleep outside on concrete for three hours with a hundred other people all waiting for the ferry, then three hour ferry to final destination) to Ko Pha ngan to partake in a Full Moon Party.

You know you're jealous you didn't get to ride in this baby...
Apparently, they're supposed to be really crazy beach parties with lots of drugs. In the end, it was basically spring break in Mexico with more mushrooms and more fire and more blacklight paint. Fun time, not necessary to repeat. Unless you're like 19.




The other few days we were there we just bummed around with some other couples we met. We had some great beach time, cruised around on scooters and had a generally relaxing and sun burn filled holiday. The island was absolutely gorgeous and once you got away from the hectic side where the party was (or the partiers left the island), it was almost perfect.



They lied, there was no waterfall.

I say "almost" because (and this is where I get really nitpicky) we took issue with the beaches. They were clean, the sand was soft and the water was clear, but it was really shallow for a long way out on all sides of the island, so it was really hot during the day and hard to swim. There weren't any waves to play in either. If these are my biggest problems though… haha.



No comments:

Post a Comment